Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, May 17, 2014

· Sewing Room Decor ·


I've been a bit hesitant to post these pictures because our sewing room still feels like a work in progress.  Quite honestly, I have grand schemes of re-painting, putting down new flooring, re-doing the trim, maybe even adding built-ins??  Posting about the room seemed anti-climactic when I'm in the "re-do it all!!!" mode, but after thinking about it- all the things pictured are the things I love and want to keep in the room anyway. ;-)  So here you go- a glimpse into the details of our sewing room. 


A vintage train case holds our jewelry supplies.  The "Complete Course in Dressmaking in Twelve Lessons" from 1922 is a delightful read, but also doubles as charming decor. ;-)


At the time of this photo, this shelf housed our button collection.  It has now grown to twice this size, so I have yet to discover a suitable alternative!  The jars are all old food jars, with the lids covered in paper that would correspond to the buttons inside. :-)

I think this print featuring Regency fashion plates is the most remarked-upon feature in the room!  The ridiculous court gowns always provoke comment. ;-)


This cute little shelf houses our collection of snaps, hooks and eyes, and belt buckles.  The top shelf was a great place to feature the vintage buckle/button sets I have. :-)  I just LOVE vintage packaging, so this is a great way to get enjoyment out of these before I use them!  Although to be honest, I love them so much that I have a hard time even thinking about using them....

This shelf has since become much more "cluttered", but in the best way possible. ;-)  It's just too tempting to keep putting cute vintage ephemera up there!!


Gretel got me these c. 1912 magazine pages for my birthday one year, and they hang above my sewing machine so I can admire them all day. :-)


What do practical baskets need?  Why, a mini bunting, of course! ;-)  Our ironing board remodel is still one of my favorite additions to the room!



I covered some boxes with paper several years ago, and they've become quite useful for holding odds-and-ends.  The photo squares are cute, but also make re-labeling the boxes a breeze!  Speaking of which.... I think it's high time to move the last of the paper crafting out of the sewing room. ;-)

Our library was getting rid of their old cardboard magazine files, and at the perfect time!  I was deep in my re-covering boxes phase, so these were suitably refurbished as well.  They also proved to be the ideal use for the Early 1920s Fashion Plate Paper We Couldn't Resist. ;-)  I keep my old magazines, small pamphlets, and assortment of notes/patterns in them.

Maybe in a year or two I will finally have decided how I want to remodel the room, and I can share pictures of the whole thing then. ;-)

· Photos by Kathryn! ·

7 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! I always love seeing what inspires people to sew and what they have set about their sewing space to look on! All of your lovely things are so lovingly taken care of! What a wonderful place to create! Well done and thank you for sharing!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I think my favorite thing is the mini bunting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off I go to make some mini bunting for .... oh who cares ... something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO charming!!! Love all the vintage stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes my heart happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness... I wish my sewing area was half this beautiful! Instead it's usually a mountain of mess because I am in the middle of a project, and I don't clean up as I go. I love the music paper on the bunting, and all the gorgeous dress pictures!!
    I better go clean up my sewing area... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your decor is splendid! Your sewing room is pretty similar to how I have decorated my room, though your decor is much more cohesive than mine. ;)
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com